Papaya
Multi-image Analysis GUI
Board Index
Register
Login
Logout
Settings

Possible bug in MINC files world coordinates

Questions or comments about Mango, webMango, iMango or Papaya.

Moderator: Michael Martinez

Possible bug in MINC files world coordinates

Postby lennel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 am

Hi! I've been using Mango, and I really like the flexibility. Great software, really.

I've notice a behavior for MINC files in world space that in my opinion could be a miss-interpretation of the MINC format specifications.
It seems that when viewing the images in world space, if the attribute 'alignment' of a dimension is set as 'center' (the default), the 'start' attribute of the dimension is ignored and the world coordinates are reported with zero at the center of the volume.
However, from the MINC format specification, I understand that this attribute 'alignment' actually refers to the relationship between the coordinate (a point) and the voxel (which has a certain size). So, 'alignement=center' would mean that the coordinate given for the voxels correspond to their center (which could be an important detail when working with large voxels).

I only discovered this because I'm working simultaneously with MINC and NIFTI files, and they fail to align when displayed in world coordinates. But it also affects the coordinates (i.e. gives a 'wrong' world coordinate when using MINC templates, which could lead to some important confusions).

Thanks!
lennel

Re: Possible bug in MINC files world coordinates

Postby admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for this info. You may very well be right. We didn't have too many examples to work with at the time that was developed. I'll make a note of this and get it fixed in the next release.
admin
Site Admin

Postby lennel » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi! I saw the new version and I'm happy to see that you continue to develop this great software.
I was also a bit disappointed to see that the issue of the world coordinates for MINC files is not solved. I'd say that claiming that it supports MINC files when the world coordinates are incorrectly displayed makes that claim kind of a stretch :)
All the best!
Nicolás
lennel

Postby admin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi. The issue is still on the list, but we weren't able to get it into the release. I hope we can get it into the next one. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Mango